Source Water Protection through Collaborative Efforts
April 26, 2012
A number of water systems attended an event – Source Water Protection through Collaborative Efforts – on April 26, 2012, to learn about source water protection efforts and opportunities in the Potomac River basin.
The meeting brought together systems from West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, along with some current Partnership members to discuss common source water concerns and ways in which the Partnership may be able to support each system’s efforts. Topics included:
- Regional emergency response initiatives,
- water-quality information and resources, and
- shared water-quality concerns.
Many thanks to Shepherd University and West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for providing the venue and refreshments for the meeting!
Current Partnership members presented on a variety of source water-related topics at the meeting. These presentations are available for download as a PDF:
- Source Water Protection – Ellen Schmitt, EPA Region III
- Potomac DWSPP Overview – Karin Bencala, ICPRB and Patrick Bowling, Pa. Department of Environmental Protection
- Potomac DWSPP from a Utility Perspective – Greg Prelewicz, Fairfax Water
- Collaborative Emergency Response Initiatives – Carlton Haywood, ICPRB
- Leveraging Resources to Identify Sources of Cryptosporidium – Greg Prelewicz, Fairfax Water
- USGS Water Quality Studies in the Potomac River Basin – Doug Chambers, USGS